Lilium is a genus of beautiful flowering plants that have spread worldwide, including in Asia and Europe. Farmers have also developed cultivars through crossbreeding that result in plants with beautiful flower colors.
Charasterictics of Lilium
The Lilium plant has characteristics as follows:
- Origin of the plant: Eurasia and North America
- Plant Variety: There are over 100 different types of plants.
- Natural surroundings: Mountains areas
- Optimal growing conditions: plains at elevations ranging from 400 to 2000 meters above sea level.
- Monocot Root.
- Exposure: Do not expose to full sun (only 1/2 part), prefers sunlight that is not direct (partially shady), or use a light filter.
- Regions: Sub-tropical and tropical.
- Optimal temperature range: 10–25° Celsius.
- Soil Type: Porous soil, clay soil, humus soil with organic fertilizer, and a PH of 6.5.
- Colors include white, yellow, pink, red, and purple.
- Distribute in Europe, Japan, South India, Indochina, and the Philippines.
- Height: 60-300 cm, with an average of 100 cm.
- Leaves are oval and vary in size depending on the species.
- Flowers: it depends on the type; diameters range from 10 to 25 cm.
- Propagation by seed or bulb planting.
- Not more than 2.5 times the height of the tuber unless planted on the surface of Lilium Candidum.
- Its beauty as a garden flower.
- Flower cutting for commercial use.
- Some types have a good smell
- Adding in some fresh air.
Some Types of Lilium
Some lilies that are commonly grown as ornamental plants and cut flowers include:
Golden Lily (Lilium Auratum)
Golden Lilies are one of the prima donna flower plants of the Lilium genus. The Latin word Auratus means gold or gilded. This plant comes from Japan.
Gold lilies have a white color with a golden ring on the corolla. Sometimes the gold line changes its color to a red color.
Golden lilies have fragrant flowers with a diameter of 20-25 cm. This large flower has six petals.
The height of gold lilies generally reaches 1 meter, although some can reach 3 meters.
The Golden Lilies are leaves that are green lanceolate and oval in the form size of 8×1.5 cm to 20×2.5 cm.
Beautiful Lily (Lilium Speciosum)
The name Speciosum means beautiful. This plant comes from the mountains in East Asia, especially in China, Taiwan, and Japan.
This type of plant has a white flower crown plus a pink color in the middle.
Another thing that adds to the beauty of the flower is that at the base of the flower funnel, there are dark red spots.
The number of flowers at the end of the stem can reach 2-10 buds with a flower diameter of about 10 cm.
The height of the Beautiful Lilies can reach 0.6 – 1 meter. The leaves are green lanceolate and slightly oval in size 8 x 2.5 cm to 15 x 5 cm. This type is most often used as cut flowers to fill flower vases.
This type of lily is very popular with the Japanese and Chinese people.
Also, read about other types of lilies with pictures.
Long Flower Lily (Lilium Longiflorum)
This plant is native to northern Japan. Following the shape of the flower, the meaning of the word Longiflorum is a long flower. The funnel of this type of Lilium flower can reach 20 cm.
This type of flower has a white flower crown, so it is also known as white lilies.
The height of the Lilium Longiform plant can reach 1.2 meters, with the tip of the stem filled with flowers with up to 8 flowers.
The plant’s leaves are green lanceolate with a pointed tip and measure about 20 cm x 2.5 cm.
The flowers of this plant are used as vase-cut flowers in Japan and Taiwan during the summer.
- How to Identify Male, Female or Hermaphrodite Papaya Trees - July 5, 2022
- How to Propagate Lavender Plants From Cuttings - July 3, 2022
- 26 Different Types of Lavender Plants - June 5, 2022